Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 1: off to a jittery start

Today was a mess.

First, we woke up late, then we realized we were still missing ingredients, then by the time we got back from shopping it was already 2:30PM and we still hadn't had breakfast !!

Anyway, we made our first liquid meal: the Energy Smoothie with Cardamom and Almond Butter. It didn't take long to make, maybe 10 minutes or so. The taste wasn't horrible, but it wasn't 'oh my God, it's better then eggs, bacon, and sausage' either. And it made me feel a bit jittery right after...or did it make me feel drowsy? You know, I still can't decide what I was feeling more... sleepy or wired..? Strange combo.

Lunch was pretty good. It was the Basic Quinoa Salad. I'm a fan of quinoa. I first got a taste of it at work from a Lebanese friend of mine, originally from Nigeria. He eats it all the time in these amazing stews he makes, yum, and I get to taste 'em! Well, I don't really give him that much of a choice...I should get him to post some of his recipes here !!!

Quinoa is such a great alternative to rice, too. It's benefits alone make it worthwhile to switch over to this seed. It helps lower cholesterol; aids elimination and toning of colon (who knew my colon needed toning too?); and prevents arteries from clogging. It's actually pretty insane to think a seed packs all that punch. If you haven't tried it yet, I definitely recommend you do. It's yummy. Like couscous, only better. Read more on the benefits here.


Cardamom's got interesting benefits as well. It's loaded with tons of healing powers for digestive disorders, urinary infections, and blood pressure -and that's not even the half of it -check out more here.

For dinner, we had another liquid meal: Cucumber and Basil Soup. It was more of a gazpacho type meal; very refreshing.

I guess what's going to be great about this experience is that as I try these recipes I'm also going to experiment with new ingredients, which will allow me to learn about their effects and how they can benefit me. Then I can let you in on the daylee dose ;)

I guess that's that for today.
I'm pretty exhausted right now.
Tomorrow's another day.

Until then, xx


No comments:

Post a Comment