Monday, March 28, 2011

My name is Jen, and I am Gluten-Free!


I’ve been seriously wondering lately what will happen once I’m off the detox. I mean, will I go crazy and binge on the foods I missed? How long will I be able to maintain my toxin-free body? Will the foods I eat make me feel bloated, again?


I don’t have all the answers just yet, but I do have one that I am happy to share with you: How to be bloated-free!


Ever felt heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, or diarrhea? No, this isn’t a Pepto-Bismol commercial, this is about unexplained symptoms like bloating, fatigue, eczema and allergies. Believe it or not, they all have something in common: wheat!

It’s bad because wheat is in almost everything we eat, and over time it’s been modified to have a higher gluten content. Gluten is a protein found in wheat that seems to be the most common culprit for digestive problems (booo).

For instance, if you eat cereal and muffins for breakfast, perhaps breads and cookies for lunch and maybe some pasta for dinner, then your setting yourself up, and your digestive tract, to get all out of whack. Why? Because your digestive tract can't handle it. 

So then what is the problem, you ask? Splendid question!

The body, more specifically, our antibodies (the one’s that neutralize bacteria and viruses) has a bad reaction to one of the four proteins found in wheat: globulin, albumin, gliadin, and glutelin. Want to guess which one is creating all the fuss? Yup, that’s right. Gluten (what an ass****)

Gliadin, which is also a composite of gluten, can cause inflammation when digested and destruct the intestinal lining (BOOM!) which prevents your body from absorbing essential nutrients (son of a b…) This holds especially true for those who have Celiac disease -an immune deficiency due to gliadin.

If you have experienced any of the symptoms I mentioned above, calm down, it doesn’t mean you have Celiac disease. It could, however, mean that the probability of you being sensitive to wheat, is there - as I believe I am.

To test this theory, all you have to do is eliminate wheat from your diet for two weeks. You should notice a significant improvement after a few days (like I did). Once the two weeks have passed, try eating some wheat again. Stay aware of how your body responds. If you notice any symptoms, then perhaps it’s time you realize that wheat isn’t the friend you thought it was (haaptouiii –I spit on you, wheat). You can either omit it from your diet entirely, or reduce the amount you consume.

Since my body will be completely void of any toxins at the end of my third week (this Saturday), I will slowly re-introduce foods I used to eat. As I consume them, I will have to monitor the changes and note any reactions.

We’ll see what happens. I’ll keep you posted.

If any of you want to try it out, go for it. It’s not that hard to do, and if you're a big pasta eater you can eat buckwheat pasta. It's a great alternative, and it tastes great too! 

Make sure you look for gluten free products. There are tons on the market. Trust me, if it cures you of many symptoms, you’ll thank me!

Have comments or questions? What do you think the box is for, dammit!? Type your thoughts down there, already! Gosh!

4 comments: